As a valued customer of UPI Energy FS ("UPI"), your privacy is important to us.
Policy on Privacy of Customer Personal Information
UPI is committed to protecting the privacy and security of your personal information obtained by way of your customer relationship with us. This policy explains the types of customer personal information we collect, how it is used, and the steps we take to ensure your personal information is handled appropriately and securely.
Our policies and practices are established to assist us in complying with the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA) which applies to provincially regulated companies effective January 1, 2004. Our principles for protecting your personal information are based on the Canadian Standards Association's model, now a statutory standard under the federal Personal Information Protection and Electronics Documents Act.
What is personal information?
Personal information is information that refers to an individual specifically and is recorded in any manner or form, such as hard copy file or as part of a database. Personal information includes such things as name, address, telephone number, Social Insurance Number, credit records and banking information.
Our Commitment to your Privacy
UPI is governed by the following ten (10) privacy principles as outlined in the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act:
- UPI will obtain your express consent (verbal, written or electronic agreement) to collect, use or disclose sensitive personal information such as personal financial information.
- UPI will use implied consent to collect, use or disclose your personal information where one or more of the following apply:
- a customer relationship already exists
- express consent has previously been given
- where the purpose of using the personal information is reasonably apparent to you
You can change your consent preferences at any time by contacting customer service at UPI who can help direct the call to the appropriate source. To change your preferences, refer to the “How to contact us” section below.
Examples of why we collect personal information include:
- to identify you as a customer;
- to understand your needs;
- to provide you with ongoing products and services, establish and maintain communication, and respond to your inquiries;
- to investigate and settle issues you may have;
- to offer you additional products and services, and provide information that may be of interest to you; and
- to comply with legal and regulatory requirements.
UPI retains your personal information only as long as it is required for our business relationship or as required by federal and provincial laws.
- physical security measures such as a restricted access facility and locked filing cabinets;
- electronic pass access to facilities;
- electronic security measures for computerized personal information such as password protection, database encryption and personal identification;
- organizational processes such as limiting access to your personal information only to those that require access; and
- disposal of personal information no longer required by means of a shredding service.
- Inform you about what type of personal information we have on record or in our control, how it is used and to whom it may have been disclosed, if anyone;
- Provide you with access to your information so you can review and verify the accuracy and completeness and request changes to the information; and
- Make any necessary updates to your personal information.
- by contacting UPI's Privacy Officer at 1-800-396-2667
- by mail to UPI Energy FS, Attention: Privacy Officer, 105 Silvercreek Parkway North, Suite 200, Guelph, Ontario N1H 8M1
- by email to: email@example.com